The name of dioptase origins from the greek word diopteia (look through). In the end of the 18th century, near Altyn Tjube (Kazakhstan) shiny emerald green and bluish green crystals were found in a mine. It was belived that it is emerald, but after its examination in Moscow, it has been revealed that its hardness is only 5 (the emerald’s 8). Then in 1797 R.J.Haüy the french mineralogist examined this new mineral and named dioptase. It is a secondary mineral which issues during the oxidation of iron ore veins. Its larger locations: Southwest and Central Africa, Kazakhstan, Chile.